Author Topic: We want to hear what growing media you are using for Platyceriums.  (Read 2274 times)

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
Personally, I prefer to use sphagnum moss because it is clean and easy.  8-_ I found that many of my friends love to use Platycerium debris, especially P. coronarium debris.  How about yours?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:15:17 PM by Apodagis »
"เหตุเกิดจากไฟ เราเลือกได้ว่าจะเป็นไฟ หรือน้ำ ถ้าเลือกเป็นไฟ ก็เผาใจตนเองและผู้อื่น ถ้าเลือกเป็นน้ำ ก็นำความเย็นสบายมาสู่สองฝ่าย"
ดังตฤณ

shawnintland

Re: We want to hear what growing media you are using for Platyceriums.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
 I generally use sphagnum moss for my larger Platycerium plants and finely chopped sphagnum (10 seconds in a blender)  for my sporelings. Recently, I was able to purchase a big bag of peat moss from Wanna and am amazed at the health of my young sporelings after transplanting them from sphagnum to peat. Every single one 'greened' up and the overall healthy appearance has 'sold' me on the peat! I've just started a few new boxes of spores on peat and will see what type of results I get. My Selaginella and bird nest ferns are usually grown on coco fiber cubes.

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:19:09 AM »
Hi Shawn, nice to hear that your sporlings are getting good. before I used only peatmoss after transplanting but now I've used peatmoss mixed with cutting sphangnum moss and also put some slow release fertilizer 14-14-14 around one tea spoon/ basket 1 foot wide, you know, it is a great response! 00-_ my sporelings grow faster than before. I think It causes from the roots of sporeling get more oxegen O2 and get some fertilizer. you can try it. let me know the result too. 4-_
"เหตุเกิดจากไฟ เราเลือกได้ว่าจะเป็นไฟ หรือน้ำ ถ้าเลือกเป็นไฟ ก็เผาใจตนเองและผู้อื่น ถ้าเลือกเป็นน้ำ ก็นำความเย็นสบายมาสู่สองฝ่าย"
ดังตฤณ

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 05:39:29 PM »
today I have a chance visiting my friend. he's grown Lycopodium and Hupersia for 5 years. and I asked him what the growing media he uses because his plants are so healthy and really large size. He said "I've used chopped coconut mixed with peatmoss, that's it."  unbelieveable 00-_ 00-_ but after he showed me what he's used, ok I believe ;)
ดังตฤณ

shawnintland

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 06:37:08 AM »
Wow Wanna, that Lycphlegmaria Cambodia is amazing! Your friend has really got his growing techniques down! These, grown by my friend, are also all growing in chopped coco-fiber and sphagnum moss;

Shawn

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 08:42:11 AM »
wowowowo... thanks for pics,Shawn.  look like our friend are the green thump. 8)   
ดังตฤณ