Author Topic: platycerium in singapore  (Read 13037 times)

platyceriumferns

• Platycerium ferns
Re: platycerium in singapore
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »
Are these the P. rildleyi you are looking for????1/8

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »

where is the photo was taken?
"เหตุเกิดจากไฟ เราเลือกได้ว่าจะเป็นไฟ หรือน้ำ ถ้าเลือกเป็นไฟ ก็เผาใจตนเองและผู้อื่น ถ้าเลือกเป็นน้ำ ก็นำความเย็นสบายมาสู่สองฝ่าย"
ดังตฤณ

matthew_platy

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 02:25:12 PM »

i hope not........ /078

lchsu

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »
I think this pic is not from Singapore; am I right, Chad?  I can see a long, high ridge in the background - I have not seen a vista like this here, and there should not be ridge that high and big here.....

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
 m177 m177 m177
"เหตุเกิดจากไฟ เราเลือกได้ว่าจะเป็นไฟ หรือน้ำ ถ้าเลือกเป็นไฟ ก็เผาใจตนเองและผู้อื่น ถ้าเลือกเป็นน้ำ ก็นำความเย็นสบายมาสู่สองฝ่าย"
ดังตฤณ

Lucasrock

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »
I think this pic is not from Singapore; am I right, Chad?  I can see a long, high ridge in the background - I have not seen a vista like this here, and there should not be ridge that high and big here.....

More likely in West Malaysia around Endau Rompin reserve!!

matthew_platy

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »

i agree with that.

lchsu

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »

More likely in West Malaysia around Endau Rompin reserve!!

Reminds me of some that I saw in Panti Forest Reserve in Johore.  Also saw a similar scene with a fallen tree and quite a few ridleyii on the branches.  In nature, they occur very high up the tree branches where is is brighter and more airy.....once the tree falls, they cannot survive at the lower levels for long.... m204

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »
really sad story for P. redleyi  m169 m169
ดังตฤณ

lchsu

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »
really sad story for P. redleyi  m169 m169
Ya....felt like prying off the branches and bringing home to try to save some .....but they were already quite brown and dying, BIG and HEAVY, and too many ants!!!! m048

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
too big plant is hard to grow when it is moved to a new place. I notice when I bought very big wild P. redleyi, finally it died.
ดังตฤณ

Lucasrock

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:40 PM »
too big plant is hard to grow when it is moved to a new place. I notice when I bought very big wild P. redleyi, finally it died.

Wanna, I also bought a big one when I started keeping platy.....
Never die but no grow shield fronds, only have fertile fronds.
I will take a pic of it tomorrow!!

lchsu

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:09 PM »
Yes...large platys are not easy to adapt to transplantation.  I usually like to buy them small as they are more adaptable and easier to transport....plus it is rewarding to see them grow and flourish in your care! 1*5

K. Wanna...want to check something about ridleyii that a platy collector once told me:  He said that he was told that P Ridleyii have a definite lifespan - that they can grow well and then one day just decide to die....I have seen this happen many times myself and I think it may be true; Have had some ridleyii in the past that grow really well and beautifully, and then for no apparent reason just stop growing and dry up! m204

Any truth in this???  ???

wanna

• Administrator
  • มารเหม่งอุ๊
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »
Ichsu, I heard some growers said P. redleyi's lifespan around 50-60 years. but for my P. redleyi I have are still young. m204 the cause to make them died cause worm ate their bud or fungi killed them.
you ever notice, how many shield fronds  do P. redleyi produce a year?
ดังตฤณ

lchsu

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
Ichsu, I heard some growers said P. redleyi's lifespan around 50-60 years. but for my P. redleyi I have are still young. m204 the cause to make them died cause worm ate their bud or fungi killed them.
you ever notice, how many shield fronds  do P. redleyi produce a year?

I think I remember it was mentioned 5-10 yrs only....anyway, I think in the wild maybe 50-60 yrs is true, but perhaps in captivity it is less?  I think it is possibly very sensitive to changes in the environment - like when changing position, or falling down!  I have almost given up on them.....but I want to try the ones you have - I like the wide spread of the fronds of the Thai species - nicer than the Malaysia/Sing one.....